Wednesday, March 4, 2009

True Love: On Suffering


Katrina Messenger put out a challenge to go through Thich Nhat Hanh's True Love with her and her school week by week starting in February. http://www.katrinamessenger.com/ I bought the book, intregued. Its a really good book. So far, this is my response to chapter 4


Going through transitional periods are difficult. Mourning the old you and letting go to make way for the new is sometimes painful, akward, and difficult. Change is both inevitable and worthwhile. The transition through death that a new, more evolved you can emerge is the reason we push through in the in first place.I am very blessed. My partner, came home to me last night, early, I was in bed, moping. He held me for a long time, got me to talk, and then really listened. He supported and validated my process, then he spent the rest of the evening with me as we went grocery shopping, made dinner together, and felt asleep in each others arms. We reconnected and I was able, through his mirror to recognize myself again.
I have never felt a place safe enough to both experience pain and at the same time, have help not to drown in it. Validation, understanding, and patience. Those are the stones on which we are building Ravencroft, our home. ~~~Blessed be.

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to have a partner who can not only encourage you to pull yourself out of the water, but can show you where to place your feet without slipping.

    Transition like this always makes me think of that scene in "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" when Edmund has to shed his dragon skin - I think he likened his removal of the old scaly dragon the fresh human underneath to be like the delicious pain of pulling off a scab. Sometimes, you have to dig down where it really hurts to find your freshest self.

    ReplyDelete